What is an Adaptive Kayak Boat Launch? BoardSafe explains and narrates through the features of it's adaptive kayak boat launch product that provides access to those with disabilities, handicaps and other mobility limitations. The launch is ideal for use of kayaks, canoes and other boats.
The ADA boat launch was created based on existing adaptive paddling applications as well as innovations generated from a group of adaptive kayakers and paddlers.
Watch the video about the launch for adaptive paddlers and kayakers.
The adaptive kayak boat launch features include:
ADA compliant 1:12 slope aluminum gangway that is adjacent the composite decking boat slide. This design allows for individuals to ease their kayak down the slide while they travel along the gangway.
· The floating dock and gangway has a 36" continuous handrail along the perimeter, consistent with ADA features.
· Aluminum floating dock with boat access. The floating docks are engineered for maximum flotation stabilization considering the size, number and placement of plastic encapsulated floats. The marine conditions and water movement (tidal waters, rivers, lake ice, etc.) are also considered.
· On the floating dock, there is a loading bench that is 16" high. A group of para-kayakers determined this to be the ideal height to transfer over from a wheelchair. On the loading bench there are four levels with a four-inch rises. The athlete can use the handrail that runs the length of the bench to guide themselves along the bench to the boat. On the last transition there is a pullout seat that extends out and across the top of the boat. The user can simply slide across the pullout seat, locate himself directly across the kayak seat and guide himself into the boat.
· Surrounding the kayak is the roll cage. It is a frame of handrails and hand straps offering the individual numerous gripping options for lowering into the boat.
· Supporting the boat in the water is a partially submerged bracket system to stabilize the kayak.
Board Safe manufactures modular products for rowing centers to build and customize an adaptive rowing center specific to their needs. Each adaptive rowing project is specifically designed with the rowers in mind. Each project, use and ecological considerations are unique. Board Safe uses the most sustainable materials and installation practices to minimize the habitat impact and duration of installation. We encourage you to call Board Safe to discuss your project at 610-899-0286.