One of the centers of the rowing community in the United States is Boathouse Row in Philadelphia. Rowers from the boathouses compete at every level, including local clubs, high schools, colleges, summer racing programs, and international-level athletics. The newest and finest facility in the area is not at Boathouse Row, but a few miles upstream.
Conshohocken is located just north of Philadelphia, PA, on the Schuylkill River. The Conshohocken Rowing Center was unveiled in October 2014. The state-of-the-art facility is a 6-bay building that houses The Haverford School , Malvern Preparatory School, and the Borough of Conshohocken. The operation of the building is a public and private relationship that encourages local and youth rowing. Because rowing is serious business in Philadelphia, the members of Conshohocken Rowing Center wanted the best dock builder they could find.
They did not have to look hard to find Pennsylvania-based BoardSafe, a trusted and expert dock builder with projects up and down the east coast. BoardSafe custom-designed, manufactured, and installed the docks and the observation deck.
The observation deck is an aluminum frame dock with Nylodeck synthetic wood, featuring the TimberStrong fastening system. The large observation deck was designed to provide great views and accommodate several hundred fans. The deck runs along the rear of the rowing center building and was engineered to cantilever over the riverbank. It measures 24-feet by 122-feet and features:
- a concrete foundation system (engineered by Innovative Marine Solutions , a sister company of BoardSafe - PE stamped drawings).
- a galvanizedstructural steel support frame (also engineered by Innovative Marine Solutions - PE stamped drawings).
- fifteen (15) 8-foot-by-24-foot aluminum joist system panels.
- a 42-inch high ultra aluminum rail - powder-coated black.
- docks designed to provide a 6-inch freeboard under no live load. The docks are BoardSafe Commercial Aluminum, featuring NyloDeck (Desert Spice color) attached to the frame with the TimberStrong fastening system.
- steel frame components, aluminum panels, decking, and railings, installed by Innovative Marine Solutions employees.
As impressive as the observation deck is, the floating docks and structure are unparalleled (scroll down to watch aerial videography of the project).
The floating docks project includes:
- one main aluminum dock measuring 10-feet wide by 360-feet long.
- six finger piers and three support arms.
- a 42-inch high ultra aluminum rail - powder-coated black
- The docks were designed to provide a 6-inch freeboard under no live load. The docks are BoardSafe Commercial Aluminum, featuring NyloDeck (Desert Spice color) attached to the frame with the TimberStrong fastening system.
All of the steel frame components, aluminum panels, decking, and railings, were installed by BoardSafe.
BoardSafe specializes in manufacturing aluminum docks, gangways, and rowing centers, all in the USA. If you have a rowing center or marina project and you would like to learn more, visit BoardSafeDocks.com or call 610-899-0286.